Monday, June 8, 2009

Recycling is Inconvenient!

Recycling has been one of the biggest trends over the last five years. Ever since I was in Elementary School in California I have learned about different ways to conserve water, save energy, and recycle. Since I grew up with this idealogy I have always been a huge fan of recycling and water consumption. Though I haven't been the best about doing these things, it is always in the back of my head that I need to help the environment by recycling and conserving water.

Now you may be thinking, "This guy is pretty lazy, if he wanted to recycle he could easily sort through his garbage and then put it in different bags and take it to a recycling bin near by." If you are thinking this then you might or might not be able to see how inconvenient this is. Why would I hang up more than one garbage bag in my small apartment and sort through everything to recycle when I can put everything in one bag and send it on its way every Thursday morning?

In California growing up, about 15 years ago, they started the push to Go Green through most or the whole state. The Garbage men dropped off 3 different bins that were labeled Paper, Plastic, and Aluminum. They were small and blue and could be stacked on top of each other. They didn't take up much space, but they didn't hold a lot either. Even though this was the first push to go green, it was still pretty tedious. My brothers and I would go outside and make sure that we had separated everything correctly according to the plastic numbers and whether it was paper or aluminum. This was fine in the begining but we soon we very upset when we had to continue to separate everything. So we began to throw everything together again.

Luckily, California and now Utah (kinda) have caught on to how inconvenient recycling used to be and now we can throw all our recycling into the one bin and the recycling plants separate the recyclables.

Recycling is now much more convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment